I tore out and rebuilt my quail cages. Instead of two large cages I now have 4 smaller ones. Each cage is approx. 2 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep. This will be more than enough room for 4 or 5 hens and one rooster in each cage.
I had a few disappointing hatches and figured that I had too many hens per male in the cages. This lowers the fertilization rate. Four or five hens per rooster is about right.
In fact I just hatched 22 new chicks and it was my best hatch rate yet. All of these eggs were collected after the new cages were built, so success! It was worth the effort.
The new quail cages are almost complete. Of course they are taking longer than expected, like any project. All I have to do for the cages now is get the watering system installed and tidy up how I’m going to latch the doors closed. I’m using bent nails right now. Hopefully this will be done tomorrow.
I decided to leave the feeders inside the cages instead of suspending them outside of the wire. It’s easy enough to fill my current feeders every few days and I didn’t feel like fabricating totally new feeders.
The quail seem to be getting used to the new cages since I got a few more eggs today than the last few days. They’ll settle in and be happy here soon.
I’ll post a new video of the upgraded cages shortly.